I've begun work on another special instrument! Once again I have the honor of making an instrument for another accomplished musician. Listen to the recordings at Victor Tsaran's website. His compositions are lovely, and all you need are ears and a heart to appreciate the expressiveness and fine musicianship there. Victor's guitar will be made of European spruce, Indian rosewood, and koa trim. So far I've bent the sides, jointed the top, laid in the rosette, and sanded the top to its pre-assembly thickness of .105". I've jointed the back and sanded it to a thickness of .100". The thickness of the various components doesn't follow a rigid formula. I do it by feel. I can tell from experience when these pieces have the amount of flexibility I'm looking for. Since this will be a 7-string, it will have a fairly steeply raked fan-fretted design so that the low A can be supported by a long scale length. Since the bridge will be slanted, the bracing will also be customized in a way similar to what I did with the bracing on the 7-string I built recently for Rune Mandelid.
Tuesday, September 04, 2007
Victor's 7-String is Under Way!
I've begun work on another special instrument! Once again I have the honor of making an instrument for another accomplished musician. Listen to the recordings at Victor Tsaran's website. His compositions are lovely, and all you need are ears and a heart to appreciate the expressiveness and fine musicianship there. Victor's guitar will be made of European spruce, Indian rosewood, and koa trim. So far I've bent the sides, jointed the top, laid in the rosette, and sanded the top to its pre-assembly thickness of .105". I've jointed the back and sanded it to a thickness of .100". The thickness of the various components doesn't follow a rigid formula. I do it by feel. I can tell from experience when these pieces have the amount of flexibility I'm looking for. Since this will be a 7-string, it will have a fairly steeply raked fan-fretted design so that the low A can be supported by a long scale length. Since the bridge will be slanted, the bracing will also be customized in a way similar to what I did with the bracing on the 7-string I built recently for Rune Mandelid.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment