I've got wenge fever! I always enjoy working with a new wood variety, but I've never been more excited about the prospect. From the first time I laid my hands on a set of wenge I've wanted to build with it, and thanks to Chris' upcoming 13-fret Spruce/Wenge Aurora now I get my chance. This wood is loud. The tap tone just rings and rings and if you so much as rub your fingertip across the bare wood you can here in the room next door. Usually woods with these kinds of tonal properties are quite heavy but wenge is very light. It has a very strong grain structure though, and as I was thinning the sides in preparation to bend them I was amazed at how stiff they remained, both along the grain and across. Now I'm even thinking that wenge could make an absolutely outstanding soundboard. I also think it's extremely beautiful in a very understated way. Those pinstripes show off that tight straight grain so nicely, sort of a new twist on old-school virtues. Stay tuned... :)
Thursday, March 27, 2008
I've Got Wenge Fever!
I've got wenge fever! I always enjoy working with a new wood variety, but I've never been more excited about the prospect. From the first time I laid my hands on a set of wenge I've wanted to build with it, and thanks to Chris' upcoming 13-fret Spruce/Wenge Aurora now I get my chance. This wood is loud. The tap tone just rings and rings and if you so much as rub your fingertip across the bare wood you can here in the room next door. Usually woods with these kinds of tonal properties are quite heavy but wenge is very light. It has a very strong grain structure though, and as I was thinning the sides in preparation to bend them I was amazed at how stiff they remained, both along the grain and across. Now I'm even thinking that wenge could make an absolutely outstanding soundboard. I also think it's extremely beautiful in a very understated way. Those pinstripes show off that tight straight grain so nicely, sort of a new twist on old-school virtues. Stay tuned... :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment