It's been quite a productive week working on Ben's Engelmann Spruce and Indian Rosewood Concert Nylon! You can see how I make the lattice bracing, glue it on and then shape it. I apply the glue to the lattice with a paint roller so that I can work very neatly and quickly. In order to provide even pressure for gluing the lattice, I use a vacuum pump system and a thin sheet of rubber. The height of the lattice is then carefully sanded to a dome shape, so that the perimeter of the soundboard is more flexible than the center. Once I've carefully shaped the dome of the lattice I glue on thin veneer strips to cap the braces that have the upward facing lap joints.I'd like to thank my good friend Gil Carnal for showing me his clever methods for fabricating this bracing design. His lattice braced classical guitars are absolutely astonishing.
By the way, this is Europe season! I'll be delivering this guitar to Ben in London, and then the next two guitars I'm building will be a Concert Nylon for Tom in France and an all-koa Baritone for Christoph in Austria. That's exciting! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment