Friday, December 17, 2010

Showtime for Jonathan's German Spruce and Wenge Arena


I recently completed Jonathan's Arena model instrument. The top is German spruce and the back and sides are wenge, one of my favorite woods. Jonathan is a classical player, so he specified a relatively wide 1&7/8" nut width, as well as a fuller neck profile such as you'd find on a classical. Jonathan also chose to have a Ryan armrest bevel built into his guitar. This makes it so much more comfortable to play; it's one of my favorite optional features to include on my instruments. This is my first left-handed guitar. It's a strange relationship to have with an instrument...to have made it, and to be so intimately connected with it in a way that feels like I'm in command of it...and then to be totally unable to play it! :) But I can give it a strum and listen to the notes as I play it upside down, and I have a very good feeling about it. I'm particularly like the thickness and sustain of the treble notes on the first string as I play high up on the neck. The notes are clear and full in every range. I just wish I could play it! Now I know how all you lefties out there feel! :)

Gallery 1 - During Build
Gallery 2 - Pre-Finish
Gallery 3 - Completed Instrument

2 comments:

Wood With Strings said...

Nice one Matt!

Matt said...

Thanks Peter. :)