Saturday, November 26, 2005

Jim Saxa's 8-String Fan Fretter is Done

Today I levelled, crowned and polished the frets and made a nut and saddle for Jim's new battle axe and I'm really thrilled with the results. The intonation, action and everything came out very lovely and even with all those acres of fingerboard to cover it feels very comfortable. It took me about 10 minutes to get adjusted to the basics of playing simple C chord and D chord shapes. Now I'm going through my repertoire and getting used to dropping those low A's and E's in on the open 7th and 8th strings. I'll have this baby for about a week and a half before I'm obliged to send it to its rightful owner, so I'll be able to work on getting used to some closed voicings. The 7th and 8th strings are an octave below the 5th and 6th, so it's really not that complicated.

No comments: