Here are some pictures of Lee's Deep Baritone all finish sanded and ready for lacquer. You can see where I've wiped a little naptha on half of the back. Besides giving some notion of how the wood will look under lacquer, it clears away sawdust so that I can find any hairline scratches that remain to be sanded out.
Wednesday, December 14, 2005
Lee's Deep Baritone is Ready for Lacquer
Here are some pictures of Lee's Deep Baritone all finish sanded and ready for lacquer. You can see where I've wiped a little naptha on half of the back. Besides giving some notion of how the wood will look under lacquer, it clears away sawdust so that I can find any hairline scratches that remain to be sanded out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Now that's one fine looking guitar!
I forgot how wonderful it does look. How about replacing the back with Zebrawood and making it a hand carved archback?
I understand you can do hand carved backs just like the folks at Eastman guitars do?
You know, a hand carved top out of Adirondick would be nice too.
And to top it all off, you could send it in a beautiful Ameritage case!!!!!!!
Me
Hey "Me", :)
Well it's a whole lot easier to make the guitar the way you want it to be in the first place. I am working a few others with Zebrawood and I'm looking forward to stringing them up. I've never thought of making a guitar with an arched top or back. I guess all guitarmakers have to decide how much they want to bite off and chew, and for me, I've really enjoyed learning all about flat-top steel string and nylon string guitars.
Cheers,
Matt
Yes, and for my "chunk of change", you are the best out there. Your attention to detail is why I don't have my baritone in my hands today. I couln't ask for more as you are assuring me of a flawless product. If it weren't for your incredible eye, the finish would not be as georgous as I know it will be. It is so worth the wait to make sure the finish is exactly right. Not many other luthiers would take that time to get it right.
The wait makes it all the more exciting!
Lee
Hang in there Lee! It's gonnga be a beauty. :)
Hi Matt Again:
Well since we found out that there was a very small "flaw" in the finish while the Baritone was being lacquered, I have become so happy that I am letting you build this guitar for me. It has taken a very long time to get the guitar finished, but it will be so worth the wait I know.
For those that don't know, Matt will work with you on the type of case and the manufacturer of that case. This is great as I have found Ameritage cases to be the premier case on the market today. Matt is having one custom made for the Baritone.
Seems Matt that it's been so long since I placed this order with you that perhaps others, as well as myself, would like to know more about this astounding Baritone. Can you give some information on the type of wood we have chosen for the back and sides, the fingerboard, and tell more about our choice of Adirondick Spruce for the top. How about some info on the bracing and what you have found to be the "Holy Grail" in your work with this type of guitars.
Can't wait to receive mine, which I understand will come around the 10th of April. When you choose one of the finest guitar makers in the world to do a custom for you, it becomes so hard to sit back and be patient and wait for a "one of a kind" guitar to be hand made for you. Thank you Matt for your dedication. You are truely an artist and a supberb craftsman.
Lee Gilliand
Hi Lee,
I just got an email from Ameritage that they expect to ship your guitar on April 14.
I'm really looking forward to hearing the tone of the Adirondack/mahogany combination. I expect it will have some real snap.
I've posted some information about the bracing on the Deceember 3 entry about your guitar.
http://mustapickguitars.blogspot.com/2005/12/assembling-lees-deep-baritone.html
And you can see some details of the bracing patter here...
http://mustapickguitars.com/29gilliand/3/index.html
I'll keep posted on upcoming progress!
Cheers,
Matt
Post a Comment