I always enjoy working with a new wood, and John's Italian Spruce Baritone is now my first opportunity to build with Honduran rosewood, which he has chosen for the back and sides. Honduran rosewood is a hard wood with a sharp, glassy, ringing tap tone, so John and I felt it would be nice choice given his desire for a very rich deep tone. The Italian spruce is quite light and relatively flexible, which we both felt would be applicable for his desire for an instrument that responds fully to a light touch. I'm also using some new woods for the little cosmetic details on this guitar. The binding and Ryan armrest bevel will be made of Indian rosewood, and the rosette is made of some very nicely figured zebrawood. It's going to be so fun to see how all these woods look together under finish. But I expect it to be more fun to hear what they sound like! :)
Monday, January 05, 2009
John's Baritone Is Under Way
I always enjoy working with a new wood, and John's Italian Spruce Baritone is now my first opportunity to build with Honduran rosewood, which he has chosen for the back and sides. Honduran rosewood is a hard wood with a sharp, glassy, ringing tap tone, so John and I felt it would be nice choice given his desire for a very rich deep tone. The Italian spruce is quite light and relatively flexible, which we both felt would be applicable for his desire for an instrument that responds fully to a light touch. I'm also using some new woods for the little cosmetic details on this guitar. The binding and Ryan armrest bevel will be made of Indian rosewood, and the rosette is made of some very nicely figured zebrawood. It's going to be so fun to see how all these woods look together under finish. But I expect it to be more fun to hear what they sound like! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment