Saturday, February 14, 2009

George's Baritone is Under Way


I've started Geroge's Sitka Spruce and Indian Rosewood Baritone. As you can see I wrap the sides in aluminum foil before bending. With the aluminum foil I only have to run water over the sides for a moment, just enough to wet the surface. Then when I put them in the hot bending fixture the foil traps the steam for the bending process. In the bending fixture are two 150 watt lightbults and one 75 watt bulb to provide heat. I also use a heating blanket laid over the side. Each side is cooked in the bending fixture for half an hour, and then left to cool completely for about three hours before I remove it. As you can see, I've taped my binding and purfling strips to the side to bend them at the same time. I got that little time saving tip from Kevin Ryan. Thanks, Kevin. :)

No comments: