Over the last two days I've installed the binding and then sanded them flush. Before I rout the channels for the bindings, I use a handheld sander to thin the perimeter of the top around the lower bout. This adds some flexibility to the top so that it will vibrate as a unit at lower frequencies and provide a strong bass response. Another thing I do is spray on one temporary coat of lacquer so that the delicate top won't be damaged when I remove the masking tape I use to glue on the binding. When I sprayed this thin coat on I got really excited about this guitar because I could see how that bloodwood rosette really popped out. This one's gonna be a beauty! :)
Thursday, February 16, 2006
All Bound Up!
Over the last two days I've installed the binding and then sanded them flush. Before I rout the channels for the bindings, I use a handheld sander to thin the perimeter of the top around the lower bout. This adds some flexibility to the top so that it will vibrate as a unit at lower frequencies and provide a strong bass response. Another thing I do is spray on one temporary coat of lacquer so that the delicate top won't be damaged when I remove the masking tape I use to glue on the binding. When I sprayed this thin coat on I got really excited about this guitar because I could see how that bloodwood rosette really popped out. This one's gonna be a beauty! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment