Palmorado's deep baritone is now ready for lacquer. Now I've shaped the neck, using 4 sanding steps. I use my spindle sander to shape the curved areas near the nut. I use round end of my edge sander to shape the heel. I use a strip of sandpaper to shape the neck profile using a sort of shoeshine technique that makes it very easy to quickly approximate any kind of neck profile, and then finally hand-sanding with a foam block backing to close in on the final shape. About half-way though this neck profiling process I'll also put a straightedge on the fingerboard and sand the surface to get it perfectly true. All that remains then is a final round of finish sanding and detailing, making sure all the bindings are sanded flush and that there are no hairline scratches to be found. Tomorrow I'll leave the guitar with Addam Stark, who expertly applies a thin layer of nitrocellulose lacquer.
Tuesday, February 28, 2006
Ready for lacquer
Palmorado's deep baritone is now ready for lacquer. Now I've shaped the neck, using 4 sanding steps. I use my spindle sander to shape the curved areas near the nut. I use round end of my edge sander to shape the heel. I use a strip of sandpaper to shape the neck profile using a sort of shoeshine technique that makes it very easy to quickly approximate any kind of neck profile, and then finally hand-sanding with a foam block backing to close in on the final shape. About half-way though this neck profiling process I'll also put a straightedge on the fingerboard and sand the surface to get it perfectly true. All that remains then is a final round of finish sanding and detailing, making sure all the bindings are sanded flush and that there are no hairline scratches to be found. Tomorrow I'll leave the guitar with Addam Stark, who expertly applies a thin layer of nitrocellulose lacquer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment