This month I'm building a very interesting custom guitar for APM Forum regular Mike Oliver. Mike has commissioned something very interesting. He asked me to design a guitar especially for drop tunings, taking CGCFGC (DADGAD down a whole step) as the essential focal point. We talked about some possibilities and decided on a fan-fretted design, with high string having a 28.25" scale length, and the low string having a 29" scale length. This long-scale design will preserve normal string tension for these tunings using light gauge strings. With a capo on the 2nd fret, it's a normal guitar. I'll also be making Mike an extra nut and saddle that he can swap out for heavier gauge strings in case he'd like to tune down further into baritone territory, so it'll be a very versatile instrument. Mike asked me to do something more conventional than my "Signature Rosette", so I've layed in a classy one piece cocobolo ring, which will be matched by cocobolo on the bridge, headplate, and fan-fretted fingerboard. Thanks, Mike! :)
Wednesday, March 01, 2006
A New Rosette on a Custom Guitar
This month I'm building a very interesting custom guitar for APM Forum regular Mike Oliver. Mike has commissioned something very interesting. He asked me to design a guitar especially for drop tunings, taking CGCFGC (DADGAD down a whole step) as the essential focal point. We talked about some possibilities and decided on a fan-fretted design, with high string having a 28.25" scale length, and the low string having a 29" scale length. This long-scale design will preserve normal string tension for these tunings using light gauge strings. With a capo on the 2nd fret, it's a normal guitar. I'll also be making Mike an extra nut and saddle that he can swap out for heavier gauge strings in case he'd like to tune down further into baritone territory, so it'll be a very versatile instrument. Mike asked me to do something more conventional than my "Signature Rosette", so I've layed in a classy one piece cocobolo ring, which will be matched by cocobolo on the bridge, headplate, and fan-fretted fingerboard. Thanks, Mike! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment