
It's a happy birthday again. This time it's my friend Dave's Koa/Malaysian Blackwood Grand Concert. When I brought this over to Addam's shop to get lacquered everyone over there said "Hey, you can't have a koa-topped guitar that's not all koa!" Then they said "It sure looks cool though." Well today I brought it back over there and they said "Sounds great...I guess you *can* do that!". Of course you can. The koa top provides a great percussive woody tone and the Malaysian blackwood (aka Asian Ebony) is very hard and dense so it really bounces that sound back out of the hole. Dave's a strummer, and I've always thought koa-topped guitars sounded so wonderfully blended and organized under a flatpick. He'd already picked out the back and sides, so, we broke the rules a little. I play fingerstyle and it works equally well for that, so I'm glad that Dave seems to be out of town these days...it'll be hanging on my wall for a little while.
No comments:
Post a Comment