Time of birth for Mike O's guitar was about 5 pm yesterday. Friend and inspector Dave Hilyard came over to help me celebrate the occasion. The back and sides are mahogany and the top is Adirondack spruce. The fingerboard and bridge are cocobolo, something I feel will become a bit a trend in my upcoming guitars. This guitar is pretty unique, the frets are fanned and the bridge is slanted so that the bass strings are longer than the treble strings. Also, the strings are quite long. The treble-side scale length is 28.25" and the bass-side is 29". It's just like having two extra frets beyond where the nut usually is, so with a capo at the second fret, it's just like an ordinary guitar. Mike and I decided on the longer scale because he wants to play in CGCFGC (DADGAD down a whole step). Dave and I had it tuned at DGCFAD (standard tuning down a whole step). The instrument also features a side sound-port that gives the player a front row seat and creates a beautiful stereo field anywhere within ten feet of the guitar. I really love the sound of this guitar and hope to make more like it. I'm planning on having one for people to try at the next Healdsburg festival.
Wednesday, July 12, 2006
Happy Birthday!
Time of birth for Mike O's guitar was about 5 pm yesterday. Friend and inspector Dave Hilyard came over to help me celebrate the occasion. The back and sides are mahogany and the top is Adirondack spruce. The fingerboard and bridge are cocobolo, something I feel will become a bit a trend in my upcoming guitars. This guitar is pretty unique, the frets are fanned and the bridge is slanted so that the bass strings are longer than the treble strings. Also, the strings are quite long. The treble-side scale length is 28.25" and the bass-side is 29". It's just like having two extra frets beyond where the nut usually is, so with a capo at the second fret, it's just like an ordinary guitar. Mike and I decided on the longer scale because he wants to play in CGCFGC (DADGAD down a whole step). Dave and I had it tuned at DGCFAD (standard tuning down a whole step). The instrument also features a side sound-port that gives the player a front row seat and creates a beautiful stereo field anywhere within ten feet of the guitar. I really love the sound of this guitar and hope to make more like it. I'm planning on having one for people to try at the next Healdsburg festival.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Wow...that is a beauty.
So what guage strings are you using on that guitar? I also play in several C tunings...CGCGCD CGDGAD, CGCFGC...would those tunings work on this instrument?
Wow...that is a beauty.
So what guage strings are you using on that guitar? I also play in several C tunings...CGCGCD CGDGAD, CGCFGC...would those tunings work on this instrument?
For the tunings you mention you've still got that third string tuned to G, which is standard...with light gauge strings it could work, though you may snap one from time to time.
Thanks for the kind words!
Hmmm...with the scale that long...could it take those C tunings down another step to get rid of that pesky G...
How about BbFBbFBbC?
Thanks...
Chris
Rather than speculate, I'll try some of these tunings on it when I get back to the workshop and I'll let you know what I find out! :)
Hi John! Thanks so much for the note. It's really gratifying to hear that the guitar is getting played and enjoyed. That bloodwood is really something special! In case you care to I'd welcome having your email and contact info for, well, who knows what, so if you want to email that at matt@mustapickguitars.com, fine. In any case, thanks for the birthday card! I've spent some time in Brevard County NC. Are you anywhere near there?
Also, John...
Here are some pictures of your guitar while I had it...
http://mustapickguitars.com/22/1/index.html
http://mustapickguitars.com/22/2/index.html
So Chris, I'm back in town now and I had a chance to tune this guitar to all the tunings you mentioned, and it works really great either in the range of CGCGCD CGDGAD CGCFGC or a whole step down BbFBbFBbC. The strings maintain good tension and the tone has great projection with no muddiness at all.
Post a Comment