Monday, June 04, 2007

Don's Grand Concert is Lookin' Good


Don Alder's sapele/spruce Grand Concert was lookin' real sharp last month until a loose router bit turned it into an exquisitely crafted piece of firewood. Aaaahh, I took a deep breath and half a day off. I jumped right back to it the next morning and now I've got Don's Adirondack spruce and Honduran mahogany Grand Concert soundbox lookin' purdy! As with the baritone I'm building for him, this grand concert features most of the options I offer, such as the Ryan armrest bevel, the multiscale geometry, the Manzer wedge, and the side soundport. A few builders have asked me to share some pictures of how I put the armrest bevel together so I took a few closeups of the nitty-gritty there.
Gallery 3 - jointing the top, bent sides, rosette detail (a lot of people are also curious about how my unique rosette is put together as well), and some bevel construction details.
Gallery 4 - bracing the top and the back and assembling them to the rim.
Gallery 5 - refining the purfling ledges for the armrest bevel.
Gallery 6 - installing the purfling, bloodwood binding, and bloodwood armrest bevel.
Gallery 7 - many shots of the completed soundbox.
Next I'll be working on the neck. More pictures soon! Thanks, Don! :)

2 comments:

Paskins Family said...

hi matt,

looks amazing! very nice job!

Display Name said...

Thanks Aaron. :) I'm lookin' forward to building your "cocobolo special" next. Cheers.