Victor Tsaran's 7-String is a blast to play. The low 7th string can be tuned down to an A or a B, making this instrument a combination baritone and regular guitar in one. Victor plays with a light touch and asked for the action to be set very low. With a good neck and perfectly level frets it's surprising what you can do. The action on this is set well below "par"...about 3.3/64ths on the high E, 5/64ths on the low E, and 6/64ths on the 7th string, with almost no relief, and it plays absolutely cleanly with a moderate touch. The attack is quick and punchy even with a light touch and the basses are very full. As always with these longer scales (26.25" - 28.25") the sustain is just off the charts. The top here is European spruce, with Indian rosewood back and sides. Did I mention how much I love Indian rosewood? Since Victor commissioned this instrument he and his wife Caro have become friends of Amey and me, so I'm excited that I'll be hand-delivering this guitar to his home at their dinner party in Palo Alto tomorrow night! By the way, check out the tracks you can listen to at Victor's website. He's been wowing me and my guitar buddies for several months now. See you tomorrow Victor! :)
Thursday, December 13, 2007
Victor's 7-String is Ready
Victor Tsaran's 7-String is a blast to play. The low 7th string can be tuned down to an A or a B, making this instrument a combination baritone and regular guitar in one. Victor plays with a light touch and asked for the action to be set very low. With a good neck and perfectly level frets it's surprising what you can do. The action on this is set well below "par"...about 3.3/64ths on the high E, 5/64ths on the low E, and 6/64ths on the 7th string, with almost no relief, and it plays absolutely cleanly with a moderate touch. The attack is quick and punchy even with a light touch and the basses are very full. As always with these longer scales (26.25" - 28.25") the sustain is just off the charts. The top here is European spruce, with Indian rosewood back and sides. Did I mention how much I love Indian rosewood? Since Victor commissioned this instrument he and his wife Caro have become friends of Amey and me, so I'm excited that I'll be hand-delivering this guitar to his home at their dinner party in Palo Alto tomorrow night! By the way, check out the tracks you can listen to at Victor's website. He's been wowing me and my guitar buddies for several months now. See you tomorrow Victor! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment