Monday, February 19, 2007

Cocobolo Nut and Saddle? Sure!


There was a interesting online discussion recently at the Acoustic Player Magazine Forum (a really friendly place to chat about all things relating to acoustic guitars), about the possible effects of using ebony for a nut versus the usual bone or other material. This really picqued my interest. I've recently finished a Grand Concert with a cocobolo bridge, fingerboard and headplate, so I thought I'd use this guitar to test the suitability of cocobolo as a material not just for the nut, but for the saddle as well. As I was working on it, I could very quickly see that this was gonna look really, really nice, so I wanted it to work. To my delight, when I strung it up, I heard the same beautiful tone and volume as I was hearing with the bone nut and saddle. I'm going to be showing this guitar at the Healdsburg Guitar Festival in August with the cocobolo nut and saddle, so if you'd like to try it out, by all means come by and hear for yourself. Of course the bone nut and saddle will be in the case as well. It would be interesting to get a little group together together one night during the festival for some comparitive listening, to see what various people hear.

No comments: