Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Christoph's All-Koa Baritone is Ready for Lacquer

Christoph's all-koa baritone is ready for lacquer. Over the last week I've made the neck and bridge, and finish sanded and thoroughly detailed every surface. Christoph has big hands, so he chose a 1&13/16 nut width. Since this koa top is relatively stiff,the top on this instrument is quite thin, .090 inches near the bridge and slightly thinner around the perimeter. Here you can see that I've used a very light and sparse bracing pattern so that the top will be resonate with those low baritone frequencies. As always, Addam Stark will now masterfully apply one of his beauiftul lacquer finishes and all that wonderful koa is going to gleam and shimmer. A feast for the eyes as well as the ears! This instrument will be headed to Graz, Austria, and as soon as possible. I'll keep you posted, Christoph! :)

No comments: