Yesterday I strung up Christoph's beautiful all-koa baritone and I'm delighted with the result. The depth of the tone and the sustain offer everything I've learned to expect from my spruce and cedar topped instruments, and the sparkle of the overtones on this instrument is remarkable. I'll have an opportunity to enjoy this instrument while the string tension "soaks in". Then I'll be able to do a final setup before sending it off to Chrstoph in Graz, Austria. As with all my baritones, I'll make an extra nut and saddle that are properly shaped and compensated for heavy gauge strings (.016-.070) for "deep baritone" tunings. A luthier from Australia recently asked me about the steps I follow for installing frets and dressing fret ends post-lacquer, so I've taken a few detailed shots of that part of my process. Okay Christoph, coming soon! I anticipate sending your baritone on Monday, October 6. :)
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Happy Birthday for Christoph's All-Koa Baritone!
Yesterday I strung up Christoph's beautiful all-koa baritone and I'm delighted with the result. The depth of the tone and the sustain offer everything I've learned to expect from my spruce and cedar topped instruments, and the sparkle of the overtones on this instrument is remarkable. I'll have an opportunity to enjoy this instrument while the string tension "soaks in". Then I'll be able to do a final setup before sending it off to Chrstoph in Graz, Austria. As with all my baritones, I'll make an extra nut and saddle that are properly shaped and compensated for heavy gauge strings (.016-.070) for "deep baritone" tunings. A luthier from Australia recently asked me about the steps I follow for installing frets and dressing fret ends post-lacquer, so I've taken a few detailed shots of that part of my process. Okay Christoph, coming soon! I anticipate sending your baritone on Monday, October 6. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment