Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Happy Birthday for George's Baritone!


Yesterday I got to put strings on George's Sitka Spruce and Indian Rosewood Baritone and I'm very pleased. The voice is strong and balanced, crisp, quick and responsive in the high end, deep and focused in the low end...and everything in between! Now I have it set up with with regular light gauge strings. In a few days, after the tension has soaked in, I'll also set it up with a special nut and saddle that will properly shaped and compensated for very heavy strings (.016-.070) for tuning down to A-A, or "Deep Baritone" territory. You can see how I bore out the 6th string tuner just slightly to accept the .070 gauge string. I've also included a few shots of the fretting in progress, gluing down the fingerboard extension, and level and dressing the frets...the foundation of every great setup. Comin' soon, George! :)

No comments: