Saturday, October 20, 2007

Closed Up Dave Hilyard's Baritone Soundbox


Yesterday I closed up the soundbox of Dave Hilyard's Sitka Spruce and Brazilian Rosewood Baritone. The pre-assembly thickness of the braced top was 102/1000". After assembling the top to the rim, I use a palm sander to thin the perimeter of the lower bout to about 80/1000". This allows the perimeter of the lower bout to flex so that the top can flex as a unit and resonate low frequencies. The top area near the bridge is left relatively stiff so that the instrument will also resonate strong trebles with sustaining upper partials. This morning I routed the binding channels. Next I'll be installing the curly koa binding and matching curly koa veneer of the Ryan bevel. Though it's not the essential means of making an excellent guitar, meticulously detailed binding and purfling are a mark of fine craftsmanship. I really enjoy taking my time with this part of the process so that the final result is especially beautiful.

No comments: